After dabbling in amigurumi doll patterns a few times this past year and getting the hang of increasing and decreasing (not to mention proper color changing – thank-you Crochet Today Blanket Special Issue 2011) I decided to have a go at making my own doll pattern. Unfortunately, this stroke of inspiration happened a few weeks before I was due to have my daughter and got put on hold for the past couple months. That is until I finished it last night!
I figured out the basic doll pattern quite quickly – and decided to crochet it as one piece throughout the head and body to avoid that horrible floppy-head problem I had when I attached them separately. I think it also makes the doll more snuggly and durable for tiny humans (you know the ones with grubby sticky fingers) and hopefully the washing machine. My son has already tested out the strength of the yarn holding the arms on – I caught him swinging the thing like mad while watching Kung-Fu Panda this morning. So far, so good!
If I can get my mad crochet skills to coincide with my kid’s naps, I may even be able to sell some dolls at a craft fair in June.